Advertisement

My Clothes! Declutter? Konmari? Or Swedish Death Cleaning? Oh, the Choices for Minimalism!

My Clothes! Declutter? Konmari? Or Swedish Death Cleaning? Oh, the Choices for Minimalism! Here's a look at the well-organized clothes inside my closet, and the one drawer that I use (in a five-drawer dresser). Because I live in the home of an elderly, disabled parent who has no interest in eliminating things she uses (and which I'm destined to be stuck with), I've become hyper-focused on my own personal possessions.

Simple decluttering won't cut it; I'm not investing in a bunch of organization tools when it's easier to JUST HAVE LESS STUFF, less stress about where to put that stuff, and to live with fewer questions about "what's in this box / crate / drawer?". The whole Konmari method of downsizing one's things is more interesting and using what you own, but the whole folding-clothes thing just doesn't appeal to me--I don't need to worry about closet space, for example, so I choose to put whatever I can onto a hanger. The Swedish Death Cleaning (Dostadning) makes a lot more sense to me (I have nobody that will want my personal possessions when I pass on, so why burden myself with them now?), but it is admittedly a more extreme version of being a minimalist. Do what works for you!

I've been working at decluttering and minimizing for a few years now, slowly and methodically eliminating items that I don't need, want or use. For me, this is all about choosing to use and value the items that are important.

Minimalism!

Post a Comment

0 Comments