Advertisement

Hiking April 27, 2019 Mercer County Park and Negri Nepote Preserve

Hiking April 27, 2019 Mercer County Park and Negri Nepote Preserve From now on, all comments will be held for review in order to protect this channel. Now that I'm an official YouTube partner, I'll share this hiking video. I wound up hiking at 3 parks. Only the last 2 parks are shown in the video. The 1st park I went to had Memorial Day gatherings but with less grills. Obviously you aren't going to find hawks when people are grilling because believe it or not, grills are a hawk deterrent. If you can prove me wrong, post it in the comments below. Well, the 3rd time was a charm! After I saw some bunny rabbits and a robin, I saw a Red Tailed Hawk perched on a power pole at Negri-Nepote State Park, which is located in Franklin Township, NJ. I don't usually go that far up north, but since this park is a well-known hawk watching spot, I couldn't resist. Strangely enough, even though it was a clear day and not a single cloud in the sky, there was only one other person there who was taking picture of flowers in front of the parking lot. He left about 10 minutes after I arrived, then I was the only person there. After I had looped around the trails for about an hour, that's when I saw the hawk. After I had started filming, I found out there were 2 hawks, which are definitely mated pairs. I ran out of batteries before I could film them for more than a minute, even though I had planned on making this video 1 minute long anyways! After I walked away, both Red Tailed Hawks came back and perched on the same power pole. I watched for a while about 1,000 feet away. I saw one of them fly away, then 10 seconds later, the other one followed it. The grass on the back trails was overgrown, so that made it more difficult for me to stay too long. After I arrived at the parking lot to leave, one of the hawks came back, but its mate was nowhere to be found. I know for a fact that these hawks don't have a nest, because one of them would have to stay at the nest all the time! Overall it was a great day for me since at least a month that I've last seen a Red Tailed Hawk! (my last sighting was here in Bordentown, NJ)

Preserve

Post a Comment

0 Comments